As most cat parents can attest, we’ll do almost anything for our fur babies. We know we can bribe their affection in the form of special treats, empty boxes left out for their pleasure, and of course their beloved catnip – but some cat owners go above and beyond to ensure their cat baby is living the life of its dreams! We took an informal poll and here are some of the weirdest (and funniest!) things cat owners do for the sake of their furry friends.
1. Singing songs to them:
This may be the most common oddity we humans think our cats will like. Linnie in Olympia, WA takes it one step further and says, “I sing songs to them, but I substitute all of the words with ‘meow.’ I like to think that makes them more relatable.” Holly in Long Beach, CA says, “I dance for [my cat] Lola, but I think it scares her.”
2. Heating up their food:
This seems logical since we #humoms enjoy a hot, home-cooked meal at the end of a long work day, so lots of people microwave wet food for their little ones so that it’s warm when it hits their delicate kitty-palate. My grandma used to heat up her cat Trixie’s dinner every night, and Trixie eventually refused to eat food that hadn’t been warmed up. April in Greensboro, NC says that her cat, “gets to sample most everything that we eat that he likes and is safe for cats,” and that he has special food: “half expensive dry food/half expensive wet food with water in the microwave for one minute, mixed to a certain consistency.”
3. Totally renovating the apartment/house or purchasing large pieces of furniture specifically for the cat:
Our furr-iend Holly said that she, “got a couch just so [her cat] could sit at the top and look out the window. She loves windows but couldn't reach them. It cost me $500 but it makes her happy and now I have a couch.” Other people like Leslie in Brooklyn, NY built shelves for her cat in the bedroom and near windows so that he can “creepily watch” people. April in NC also says she built a ramp for her cat so it’s easier for him to get on the bed!
4. Letting them drink water out of weird places:
… Like the sink. Nancy in Cary, NC says, “My dads cat Eggplant would sit in the sink and cry until someone turned the faucet on (at a very slow trickle) for him to drink from.” Richard in Brooklyn, NY always keeps a bowl of water in the bathtub specifically because his cat Charlie prefers to drink from the bathtub bowl instead of the one near his food dish.
5. And finally, just generally accommodating their weird quirks:
- Jennifer in Raleigh, NC says that she child-proofed her house long before she had a baby – because her cat kept getting into all the cabinets and trash cans.
- Nicole in Leland, NC says, “One of my cats has to be picked up and cuddled while you are using the bathroom. If you don't give in to his wishes - he'll jump from the sink onto your back and chill there like a heavy, claw infested scarf.”
- April in NC says that, “we go outside with [our cat] and follow him around everywhere he goes. We also put a blanket on the ground that he will lay on and we will stay outside with him so he can look at the birds.”
- Holly in CA says that her cat “likes to watch The View. So I put that on for her on Hulu sometimes and she sits at the end of my bed watching it on my laptop.”
It’s clear who is the boss in these situations … but we already knew that, didn’t we? What weirdo things do you do to keep your cats happy?